SURATAN ATAU KEBETULAN ...sesuatu yang tak disangka, seringkali mendatangi kita, itukah suratan dalam kehidupan, atau hanya satu kebetulan....



Tuesday, December 20, 2011

MY LATE MOTHER, ALLAHYARHAMAH HAJJAH ZABEDAH BINTI BUROK.

I was awakened from my sleep by the ringing of my hand phone. When I looked at the screen I knew that it was from my brother and I knew that the news would be of my ailing mother. I just said “hello” when the other end straight away told me our beloved mother had passed away peacefully. It was about at 2.20 am on Thursday 15th December 2011. The only word that came from me was “Inna-lillahi-wainna-ilaihi-rajiiun

I was stunned as I have planned to visit her the coming weekend. I was not able to travel to my hometown earlier as I was stuck with other responsibilities. I sat by my bed and told my wife of the news. We sat and did not say a word. We packed up a few items we need and prepared to leave for my hometown which is about 150 km away. It was already about 4.00 am, withdrew some cash, filled up my car, bought our prepaid top-ups and off we drove through the cool misty morning.

An hour later, we stopped at my wife’s home in Bentong, waking my mother in-law who was surprised by our arrival. We told her the news and we rested awhile before we took our morning prayer. We continued our journey and reached my mother’s home at sunrise. The other members of the family were already there lead by my eldest brother, and with my elder sister, were by my mother’s bedside to her last breath. My sister told me that our mother has made herself ready by giving her gold necklace, rings and whatever she wore to my sister. Last but not least, she gave her gold bracelet to her maid and said to her that she does not have any cash to give but gave the bracelet instead as a “thank you” gift for taking good care of her. That how’s a mother’s love is.

All the other arrangement for the burial was done as scheduled. The prayer was attended by more that the hall could take, and there was a second session to accommodate the rest of the congregation. My mother was laid to rest at the same area where our late father was. It was attended by our relatives and close friends.

At this juncture we would meet a few whom we haven’t seen for a long time. This is the time to recall our memories and closes our bond or relationship. I met a niece and I recalled of an incident a long time ago, when we were at a very young age that makes a scar at my toe. She could not remember it but I do as I was the one with the scarred toe. A saying says that we would meet with one another during marriage ceremonies; when someone is bedridden with sickness; death or such, or else we may not see each other as frequent. I met those relatives that I have never met for quite a while and I feel that the respect and love remain strong.

There was a time when a young girl, about 4 years old, nicknamed my late mother as “Wan Nenek”. It was a surprise as she was new to the family then, told me that the word “Nenek” is already commonly used and “Wan” is mainly used in Pahang. So she insisted to call my late mother as “Wan Nenek” and both words means “grandmother”. My late mother was fondly of this girl; she was the girl who used to hold her hand whenever she was surrounded by my mother’s geese. When my mother was bedridden she asked me the where about of this young girl whom she missed and hasn’t seen for sometime. I could not answer my mother as I did not know where that girl is then.

Our mother left us with all her love that will remain in our heart forever. She left her nine (9) children to pray for her under the care of our eldest brother. For three (3) consecutive days, we arranged with the local mosque to have the special prayer (Tahlil) for our mother.

May Allah grant our mother peace and give His blessings, forgive all her sins and place her among the inhabitants of Al-Jannah. Al-Fatihah, Amin.

No comments:

Post a Comment